- The suspect had entered Germany two years ago, but had his asylum claim rejected a year ago; he was provided with accommodation in Ansbach.
- Though rejected for seeking asylum he was given exceptional leave to remain.
- Suspect was facing deportation to Bulgaria.
- Flagged to authorities for drugs possession and is reported to have attempted to take his own life twice previously; he had spent time in a psychiatric unit.
- Ansbach is home to a major US military garrison, hosting the 12th Combat Aviation Brigade, with around 5,000 personnel on site. The garrison’s official Facebook page said security measures around the camp would be “modified” following the attack.