Key date: 2010
- Stuxnet was a malicious worm, discovered by Kaspersky Labs in 2010.
- A worm is self-replicating malware that duplicates itself and spreads to uninfected computers.
- Stuxnet was solely designed to target the make and model of a specific embargoed Siemen’s SCADA system used only by the Iranian nuclear program.
- Stuxnet allowed the Iranian centrifuges to overspin but not alert staff, damaging themselves permanently.
- As such, it is widely believed to have been designed by America and Israel and called, “Operation Olympic Games.“