- United States expanded its airstrikes against ISIS in the coastal city of Sirte, Libya, According to the US officials.
- The attacks mark the beginning of an ongoing U.S. air campaign in Libya, a Pentagon spokesman said.
- The U.S. airstrikes came after the request of the Libyan Government of National Accord, to support forces trying to defeat ISIS in its primary stronghold in Libya, according to Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said.
- The GNA is Libya’s U.N.-backed unity government.
- GNA forces were successful in taking over territory from ISIL around Sirte. Thus, US airstrikes will enable GNA to get determinative strategic advance, said Pentagon spokesman.
Assessment: U.S expands airstrikes on ISIS in Sirte, Libya
Expansion of force used to fight ISIS should be a successful move in taking over territories that possessed by ISIS. On the other hand, it also may provoke another deadly terrorist attack in Europe. Cornered beast becomes more aggressive.