25/08/2016 from Russia
- Four of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) vessels intercepted a U.S. warship on Tuesday near the Strait of Hormuz.
- The USS Nitze tried to communicate with the Iranian vessels 12 times, but received no response. It also fired 10 flares in the direction of two of the Iranian vessels.
- USS Nitze had to change course in order to distance itself from the Iranian vessels.
- The Gulf separates Iran from its regional rival Saudi Arabia and a U.S. naval base in Bahrain.
25/08/2016 from the UK
- A US Destroyer was operating in international waters alongside the USS Mason when officials say four Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps vessels performed a “high-speed intercept” of the Nitze
- Over the past year and a half, roughly 10 percent of Iran’s interactions with the US Navy were deemed unprofessional, US defense official said.