Key date: 15th July 2017
- Hackers use spear phishing e-mails to target Execs in Electricity Supply Board (ESB), which supplies both Northern Ireland and the Republic.
- Group said to be Russian state sponsored, GRU Intelligence Agency (Гла́вное разве́дывательное управле́ние – Glavnoye Razvedyvatel’noye Upravleniye)
- GRU is Russia’s biggest foreign intelligence agency, headed by Igor Korobov (И́горь Ко́робов)
- cyber attack intended to infiltrate Supervisory control and data acquisition control systems (SCADA), allowing hackers to force blackouts and damage infrastructure.
- State sponsored targeting of Energy Boards seen in Ukraine conflict
- Vladimir Putin has denied supporting hackers.