- Overnight fire at a Fort Pierce, Florida, mosque that was attended by the gunman in the deadly Orlando nightclub shooting was intentionally set, police said Monday morning.
- The surveillance footage was later released by the sheriff’s office
- According to NBC affiliate WPTV-TV, crews responded to fire at the Islamic Center shortly after 12:30 a.m. after 911 calls that the building was on fire. The blaze was quickly extinguished and no one was hurt. The extent of the damage was unclear.
- Deputies are looking for a white or Hispanic male who rode a Harley-Davidson-style motorcycle in connection with Monday’s arson at the Fort Pierce Islamic Center.
- Sheriff’s Office said the man was seen in surveillance footage holding a bottle of “some sort of fluid,” and “papers or something like that” in his other hand. A large flash was seen soon after he exited the footage, Thompson said.
- Arsonist may have sustained burns
- It happened on September 11th and was in the mosque where Omar Mateen prayed, could be thought of as an attack against Islam,